Ice

@

@

Just because his young student, and former captain of Hyoutei's Jr. High tennis club, had moved on to high school, did not mean Sakaki Tarou no longer saw Atobe. In fact, he had been friends with the Atobe family for a long time, and had been giving their son tennis lessons since he could walk. Even after Atobe had moved on to the bustling world of high school, Sakaki still visited his home on occasion, playing matches with him (he hardly needed lessons anymore) and enjoying the company of a boy who was growing into a splendid young man.

On that particular night, when he had stopped by for a visit, the butler quickly ushered him in, saying that he was glad he was there. When he asked what was wrong - seeing from his agitated state there was obviously a problem of some sort - the old man replied "Young Master Keigo has shut himself in the bathroom for some time now. He won't respond to anyone's calls and I fear he may be in trouble. I was just about to attempt to reach his father, but it would be better if you could get through to him."

Though it was by no means unusual for Atobe Keigo to shut himself up in a washroom, preening to perfection as a proper boy of his status should, there was no reason why he shouldn't respond to anyone's inquires. Admittedly, it worried Sakaki. So he went to him, after giving the butler his coat and learning which bathroom it was Atobe was in.

When he got there he found the floor in front of the door wet, which worried him further, and he knocked and called. But like he'd been told, Atobe wasn't answering. Trying the handle told him the door was locked, though that wasn't anything a sturdy shoulder couldn't take care of.

Atobe was in the bathtub. Not making any attempt to cleanse himself - just sitting, motionless. Staring down into the water, eyes unblinking, knees brought up to his naked chest and arms wrapped around them. The tap was running still, and the tub had begun to overflow, spilling the water that attributed to the wetness of the flooring in the hall.

Quickly, he went over and turned off the water, calling "Atobe," and then kneeling beside the tub, heedless of the water that soaked his expensive suit pants. "Atobe," he said again, as he reached out to shake him. The teen's skin was freezing cold, and Sakaki realized the water was near ice. "Atobe!" He'd get pneumonia if he stayed in there any longer, if he wasn't sick already.

Grabbing his arm, Sakaki pulled him from the tub. Atobe only looked at him blankly, murmuring "Kantoku..." as he got a nearby towel and wrapped it around him, followed by his own arms, for warmth. Rubbing his arms and back, he urged the blood to flow, and after a minute Atobe started to shiver, like his body was finally warm enough to realize it was cold.

He didn't press him to talk, not yet. Just led him out of the washroom, where the ever faithful butler waited, worry in his face and wringing his hands. "He'll be ok," the teacher told the man, and requested he bring some extra blankets to Atobe's room. The butler did as asked, dropping them off a few moments after they got there, and Sakaki had him go off to prepare some warm soup.

Carefully, he dried the teen's body, then found the warmest-looking pajamas he could and dressed him. Through it all, Atobe was silent, allowing Sakaki to care for him like a trusted friend, or father. He was probably closer to him than any of his family members. Certainly he was around more; they were together every day for three years while Atobe was in jr. high school. Sakaki lead him and coached him in more than just academics and tennis. And there was only one person in this world who loved Atobe more than he did.

"Tezuka," he said suddenly. Croaked out really, his voice thick. "He left me."

Sakaki paused in his gentle drying of Atobe's hair, sitting next to him on his bed after he'd been wrapped in the blankets. But after a moment he resumed toweling the silken locks. "Did he give a reason why?"

"He did not say, but I know. His family has been...pressuring him."

He didn't say anything more, and further questions were not asked. They sat quietly. And then a single tear welled in Atobe's eye, overflowing and running down the side of his face to drop off and splash a kiss upon his thigh.

To Sakaki Tarou, it was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen.