Mine

@

@

The lights of the city below washed out any hope of seeing the stars shine, and took their place. Little dots of light that seemed tiny from way atop a large building. In a skyscraper restaurant, high above the city noise, Tezuka gazed out the large picture window, down at the pretend-stars. They weren't as good as the real ones, he thought; the stars that were so bright when viewed from a quiet forest, those were the best. But these would do for now.

He felt Atobe approach from behind, and let himself lean against his lover when an arm wound its way around his waist.

"Enjoying the view?"

"Ah. It's lovely."

"I'm glad," Atobe answered, then leaned in and nibbled the spot just below Tezuka's ear.

He didn't pull away. Normally Tezuka avoided overt public displays of affection, but that night... Atobe had rented out the entire restaurant. Cost a pretty penny, he was sure, but money had its advantages, and Tezuka wasn't about to tell Atobe what he could and could not spend his own earnings on. Which was just as well, since he wouldn't have listened to him even if he tried. And it wasn't like the pro tennis star couldn't afford the little luxuries. So they had the whole sky-view restaurant to themselves, creating a mix of public and private that Tezuka could live with.

Even if there was one thing that confounded him.

"Keigo...why did you do this?"

"Do what?" Atobe played coy.

"This," Tezuka gestured to indicate the empty restaurant, devoid of anything save a few members of the wait staff, with a single table made up for two. "You bought out this whole place for no reason that I can think of."

Atobe looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Do I need a reason to spoil you?"

Tezuka didn't respond, just looked back out the window. Because what could he say? It really wasn't unlike Atobe to be generous with material things, especially where Tezuka himself was concerned. Though he paid his fair share of the bills they accumulated living together, he was never in need of anything because Atobe was always ready to supply it, even before he realized it was needed.

But in this little treat, he couldn't help but think there was something behind it. Atobe was a showman, and he didn't set the stage unless he planned to perform.

"Well, there is a reason anyway."

Aha...

"Do you know how much all this cost, Kunimitsu?"

"I'm guessing quite a bit."

Atobe smirked. "Quite a bit indeed."

"Keigo."

"I can afford to take care of you! Anything you could ever need or want, I can give you." He took Tezuka's left hand and brought it up to his lips, kissing the third finger. "You don't even have to work, if you don't want to."

"Hey," Tezuka reached out and cupped Atobe's chin in his right hand, tilting his face upward. "You know-" This was a very special moment, he felt. "I know you can do all that, and would do so happily. But you know I enjoy working and earning my own living."

"I know," Atobe nodded. "What I mean is..."

And then, to Tezuka's utter surprise, while still holding his left hand, Atobe got down on one knee.

"Tezuka Kunimitsu, I want you to marry me."

Tezuka stared.

Atobe smiled.

Tezuka blinked.

"Well!?"

With their clasped hands, Tezuka pulled Atobe to his feet. They stood mere inches apart, and if either leaned forward just a little they'd be in a kiss. But instead Tezuka said softly "It won't be legal."

"I don't care."

"Atobe Keigo." And now Tezuka did lean in for a brief kiss. "I would be honored."

Atobe gave a dazzling grin, and then reached in his pocket and pulled out a small black box. "Here." He opened it, presenting a lovely white gold ring with yellow gold accents, and a row of diamonds in a channel setting. It was actually rather low-key for something Atobe had picked out, but he did know Tezuka's tastes after all. "Have to do this the proper way."

"Because we are the proper couple." Tezuka smiled an ironic little smile.

"Of course," said with a wink. Then taking the ring from its case, Atobe slipped it onto his lover's left ring finger, making the promise official. It looked absolutely beautiful there, a hundred times more so than it had in the box.

And they sealed the deal with a prolonged kiss.

@

@

"I'm surprised," Tezuka said some time later, after their dinner had been served.

"Oh? At what?"

"That you didn't require an audience for all that."

"Oh, don't worry," Atobe grinned. "This whole evening is being broadcast on the screens in Shinjuku."

Tezuka choked on his soup.