Choice

 

 

Tezuka lifted yet another box and added it to the stack, then uncapped his black marker. "Which one was this?"

Tachibana looked over his list. "Number 10." Then he smiled. "We're almost done."

It had been Yanagi's idea for Tachibana's moving process to go like this, to write down everything as he packed it and number the boxes. That way he knew exactly in which box everything was, and could use the list to prioritize his unpacking. And he put things he wasn't likely to need or want for some time in the same boxes, which he would put in storage, and if he ever needed something that was stored, he could refer to his list to find out which box it was in.

It was a very data-ish way to go about moving.

"Thanks for helping," Tachibana said as they started on box number 11. "I know you're probably busy with the wedding planning."

"It's fine," Tezuka replied. "Atobe's getting fitted for his tux today, so I'm kicked out of the apartment anyway. He says it's bad luck for me to see his suit before the ceremony."

Tachibana laughed. "Ah, the superstitions of a bride." Tezuka chuckled as well, until the sounds eventually died out and they were silent for a while, packing quietly. And then Tachibana spoke again, saying "I'm happy for you. ... And for me too." He nodded.

Tezuka gave him a brief smile. "I am too." Despite - or maybe because of - an entangled history between them, everything seemed to work out. They could all be happy.

He wrote '#11' on the filled box.

 

 

"I can't wait for you to see my suit," Atobe was saying. "It's perfect for me." He crawled over Tezuka as he lay on the bed, stealing the other man's attention away from the file he had been reading. Tossing the file to the floor, he took hold of Tezuka's wrists and pinned them above his head. "But I warn you, you will not be allowed to ravish me when you see how great it fits me; I will allow no interruptions in our wedding."

Tezuka gave a small, teasing smile. "I'll have to find a way to resist, somehow."

Atobe chuckled, then leaned down and kissed his lover. A smile lingered on his lips as he pulled back, then he lowered himself, propping his head up on one hand with his elbow laying against Tezuka's chest. "So," he spoke again, "what did you do today while I was looking fabulous?"

"I was helping Tachibana move."

His body stiffened. "Tachibana...ah~n?" And he sat up, still sitting on Tezuka. Memories came to him, of a time he had hurt, a lot. A time he'd rather not think of.

"Yes." Tezuka gripped Atobe's arm when he had pulled away, and now gave it a squeeze. "I helped Tachibana move in with his lover."

With a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes, Atobe replied "that's nice," then slid off the bed. He grabbed his jacket as he headed toward the door.

"Where are you going?"

"For a walk."

"In your pajamas?"

Atobe bristled. "Ore-sama will go walking in whatever I wish!"

To his credit, he did not slam the door on his way out.

 

 

Tezuka heard Atobe return about ten minutes later, but when he didn't come back to the bedroom, he grew curious, and went looking for him.

Atobe was not generally inclined to jealousy, but he had always been weary of Tachibana. The Fudomine captain was the only one who'd ever tried to take Tezuka, and Atobe was never really able to get over that.

He was found in the den, sitting at his desk, with several flower catalogs in font of him. Using his sudden restlessness to work on planning the wedding, and he didn't even look up when Tezuka entered the room.

"Keigo-"

"I can't decide," Atobe cut him off. "I like this arrangement," he pointed to one of the floral sets, "but these colors would compliment my eyes so well," then pointed to another.

Tezuka let it go, as Atobe had, and moved behind him to have a look. It was certainly better to be productive than it was to dwell. "How about that one?"

"Which one?"

"Number 10."

Atobe found the arrangement Tezuka had referred to, and smiled. "That's perfect. It'll highlight both of our suits wonderfully." He reached an arm up to wrap around Tezuka's neck. "You've made a good choice."

And Tezuka kissed the top of his head pointedly. "I always do."