Baby

@

@

"Kunimitsu, come look at this."

"Hm?" When Atobe called his attention, Tezuka went over to the opposite side of the garage they'd been cleaning. Since his father, and head of the Atobe family, passed away, they had taken it upon themselves to get the estate affairs in order. It took the burden off of Atobe's mother, so she was free to mourn the loss of her husband, and helped keep him from dwelling too much. That's why he chose to do everything himself, even tasks like this, instead of hiring someone else to do it. Only Tezuka was included, as Atobe's partner. "What is it?"

"Look," Atobe pulled a dusty sheet off of a small piece of furniture. "It's my old baby cradle."

Tezuka eyed the overly-decorated basket wearily. "It's quite...elaborate."

"Built for a prince."

"No doubt." They were silent a moment, as Tezuka ran a hand along the polished cradle. And he thought about it beyond simply what it was - just a few pieces of wood stuck together, intricately carved and painted. It really was more than cushions and silk and lace; it was something that held Atobe at what must have been the only vulnerable time of his life. It comforted him and protected him at a time when he couldn't do it for himself. A gentle smile came over Tezuka's face. "I bet you were a beautiful baby."

"Well of course," Atobe started, and then he caught a bit of something in Tezuka's eyes. "Kunimitsu, do you...want to have children?"

Tezuka shook his head dismissively and turned away, intending on going back to cleaning the garage.

"Hey! I want to know." With a scowl, Atobe moved to take Tezuka by the shoulder and turned him around. "Do you?"

He was still a moment, then took Atobe's hand and pulled it off his shoulder. Sitting on an antique sofa that was next to the cradle, he finally answered, "I think...perhaps I would." Atobe sat next to him, all for a break, and Tezuka wrapped arms around him as he continued. "But I wouldn't be satisfied with the methods available to us. There's no way it could be completely part of both of us, and though it would absolutely be loved, I'm not sure I could give my heart to it completely otherwise, and a child deserves better than that."

Atobe thought about what Tezuka said, then turned slightly to face his lover directly. "Have I ever mentioned you're a remarkable man?"

"Once or twice."

He took the other's face in his hands and kissed him, then said "Any child would be blessed to have you as their father." And he was rewarded with another smile. Then he sat back again, resting against Tezuka's shoulder, each thinking their own thoughts. And out of the blue he suddenly asked "Do you wish I were a woman?"

Tezuka laughed at that. You mean more than you already are?" And received a light elbow-jab to his abdomen. After another chuckle, he responded, "Not a bit. I'm completely head-over-heels for you just the way you are."

"Good," Atobe smiled.

"Would you prefer if I were a woman?"

This time Atobe chuckled. "To be honest, I don't know if I'd be as attracted to you if you were."

"Ah."

"And I'd miss your big-"

Tezuka clamped a hand over his mouth before he could finish. He didn't even want to know where Atobe was going to go with that. "Let's get back to work, shall we?"

Atobe nodded, still laughing under Tezuka's hand, and then they both stood up. They looked at the cradle a moment. "Let's just sell it."

And then together they took the sheet, and covered it back up.